Wednesday 26 November 2014

DIY Diva

Hello you lovely lot!

First of may I say sorry for neglecting my blog for so long! I have so many assessments and auditions coming up that I haven't had a minute to myself! I am also in the University's production of Little Shop of Horror's! So it's full steam ahead at the moment. I thought instead of staring blankly at my word document which hasn't moved from 700 words in the last 3 hours, I would procrastinate wisely!

I have never claimed to be a Calamity Jane when it comes to DIY! A. because I don't have the patience and B. because it never really interested me until I discovered....PINTREST!

Oh yes! The simple pinning app seemed to have unlocked some creative juices which I never thought I could produce! I must admit that before I had this epiphany, I would waste everything and buy it, even if it was 10x cheaper to make. I didn't want to wait and I didn't want the hassle.

That my friends, was when I was at college, living at home with a steady weekend job. I wasn't 'ballin' but I certainly didn't mind paying out for what I wanted. Now I am sat here writing this blog in Josh's dressing gown (cheers hun), thick Primark PJ's, fluffy bed socks and contemplating gloves, just so I don't have to turn the heating on!

Growing up my mum was monochrome mad! Our living room looked like God's waiting room and the rest of the house looked like a zebra enclosure. This was all very stylish and I transferred this theme to my first flat with Josh. After living here nearly 3 years together, we are thinking about moving to London *faints from reality*. This got me thinking... It never felt like a cosy home. It was actually quite cold and unwelcoming. Almost like living in an untidy showroom. I decided (with Josh's approval) that I wanted our new decor to be..... SHABBY CHIC!

Now I am like a crazy recycle lady! If josh even thinks about throwing away any jars or cardboard without asking me *shakes fist*

 My first project was extremely simple yet very effective and cost me £1. *drum roll please*

It's a make up organiser! -Please excuse the toilet selfie- 




  1. Simply cut up an old cereal box
  2. Cut to size and stick an empty toilet roll inside to hold up the brushes
  3. Wrap some lovely wrapping paper around it! My chosen wrapping is from Paperchase
  4. Decorate with lace or bows or whatever suits your decor
I appreciate it isn't perfect or extremely glamorous but that's what I like about shabby chic and the fact I made the whole thing for £1! It beats having all your make up lying around the bathroom looking like Superdrug!


If you like it or know ways quirky ways to improve it, please comment! I would absolutely love to see your version if this has kick-started your creative juices!

Until next time,




No comments:

Post a Comment